Monday, July 30, 2012

Essie Mirror Metallics and New Luxeffects

Chrome finishes are often tricky to work with, so I don't reach for them often. Of course I did not let that stop me from trying a couple of the new ones from the Mirror Metallics collection from Essie. I put on a base of Salon Sciences Instant Artificials to smooth out the imperfections in my nail surface then applied Blue Rhapsody with an accent of No Place Like Chrome.



These are very shiny. In some shots they were reflecting so much light that my camera couldn't focus properly, and that's without topcoat. They also cover very well. I used two coats, but really could have stopped at one. Careful application is a must, as brushstrokes are an issue; they don't settle as well as I'd hoped (perhaps topcoat would help with that).



Above two shots were in the lightbox; here's a look in regular room light:



I also picked up the newest Luxeffects polish, Stroke of Brilliance, which is a cool-toned blue glitter.



This seemed like good match for the cool-toned chromes I was wearing, so I layered two coats of it on top (still no topcoat; I was extra lazy that day).





I just couldn't resist trying Stroke of Brilliance over my 2012 summer favorite, Essie Bikini So Teeny. This is three coats of Bikini with one of Stroke:





Stroke of Brilliance is a winner for me. I can think of so many colors it would look good with. I'm not as sure about the Mirror Metallics. I was hoping they'd be easier to work with than my old school Sally Hansen Chrome ones, but they were not.

23 comments:

  1. I can't make up my mind on these, I know I want the new Luxe Effects though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks amazing! Stroke of Brilliance looks very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Mirror Effects are really nice, and I love also their names! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely swatches, but I don't think any of the Mirror Effects will find their way to me LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Luv the last combo! I have to get that! My only issue with metallics is the lack of variety in color. I feel like I already have all the colors avail. in that category. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need that glitter! I love the last combo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your nails look absolutely gorgeous, the metallics look so smooth and gorgeous on you, swoon ; )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wasn't too keen on the Mirror Metallics when I first saw them, but the Luxe Effects glitters keep calling out to me. I'm quite impressed with how just one coat works.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Soooooo beautiful. I keep waiting for my Ulta to get those Mirror Metallics, but so far no luck.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like Stroke of Brilliance over Bikini So Teeny!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stroke of Brilliance looks incredible over Bikini So Teeny!!! Wow Karen these are great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, the Essie glitter covers so well in just one coat! I'd be tempted to wear it alone ;) Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how smooth these metallics are! And I really like the layered look of Stroke of Brillance over the metallics. :-)

    ~ Yun

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been reluctant to try the metallics because they usually just show every bump in my nail. I can't stand that. But these look pretty good. I just bought that new glitter and I really like it! It looks really great over Bikini So Teeny!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a pretty combo. It reminds me of raindrops.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stroke Of Brilliance is a pretty color!! I think it might be a close dupe to Sephora by OPI Indi-go With the Flow.

    ReplyDelete
  17. amazing swatches!! and omg that new luxeffects looks stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great swatches, as always :)
    I've bought one of the metallics, and I'm going to use it for stamping only. I think they're really awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm loving SOB over BST what a great combo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stroke of Brilliance is one I couldn't resist when it came out! I picked up Blue Rhapsody and Nothing Else Metals. I haven't tried them yet, but I'm not in a hurry :) I love the way Stroke of Brilliance looks over the chromes and Bikini So Teeny!

    ReplyDelete
  21. If these swatches proof one thing, it is that your nailbeds are flawless! They look so smooth on you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think I kind of like this blue glitter! Not going to run out and buy it-but it's not that horrible! I thought I waned this collection to stamp with-but am trying really hard to be on a no buy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.