Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Recent NOTD: SpaRitual Solitude, Plussed

SpaRitual is one of the brands I've gotten involved with only recently. It doesn't seem that widely distributed in the places I frequent; I've never seen it in a bricks and mortar store, and only a couple of my go-to online retailers stock it. I did see SpaRitual swatches pop up in my travels around the blogs and boards and some of those piqued my interest, especially when I read that the brand is affiliated with Orly, one of my favorites, so I ordered some bottles and swapped for a couple more. Solitude, a dusty purple creme, is the first one I've tried for a full mani. I used two coats of this color, but three would have been better, since I noticed a few thin spots after I got the topcoat on.





I wasn't as enamored with this one on my nails as I was with it in the bottle; it seemed to lose some of its interesting dustyness. It was fine, really, just not quite what I'd hoped. Maybe it would have been better in the sun, except we didn't have so much sun while I had this on. I wore it by itself for a few days, hoping it would grow on me, but finally had to spice it up with a stamped funky French a la Fingers. I chose the houndstooth design from Konad plate m63. For the stamping, I used Sally Hansen Chrome Nail Makeup in Carnelian Chrome, which I bought from nailXchange's blog sale (which she appears to have extended until today), and which I chose especially for this mani because it was pink and would likely annoy Fingers. What can I say, we just have that sort of relationship.



There's a certain amount of wonkiness in both my stamping and my freehand tips, but on the whole I was happy with it, and it was certainly a lot more interesting than Solitude alone.



I only did the tip on my thumb to mix things up, and used OPI RapiDry instead of my usual Sally Hansen Insta Dri topcoat to seal on the chrome.



Chromes are something, along with Prisms, I'd like to see Sally Hansen bring back. Sally seems to have a short attention span, so maybe one of these rounds of lines coming and going she'll revisit the good ideas from the past. When the chromes were first out, I don't think anyone was stamping, and they're great for that.

18 comments:

  1. Nice! I like all three versions!

    I have a few SpaRitual polishes, and I like them a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you didn't find Solitude interesting...but it does look better stamped!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gail, thanks!

    mrsrexy, these things happen--I can't love everything. :) And maybe another time with a different topcoat or three coats of color it'll be the shade I was seeing in my head. If not, there's always crack and glitter and such!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried Sparitual polishes but I saw very interesting swatches. This is not my kind of color, but I love the combo with the SH Chrome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually I like Solitude ^_^ was it shiny enough before applying top coat?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing - Girl you need to stamp more!
    I love this!

    /Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't own any sparitual yet but they are definetly peaking my interest and I didn't know they are associated with orly I love orly too, I like this color it's looks very pretty in your first pic, I think I like to annoy fingers with pink too it's fun lol love ya fingers! And yes Sally needs to bring back the chromes and prisms! did u know that people are spotting the prisms at Ross! mine didn't have any :-( but it's something to check out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really want to get my hands on some Sparituals! I just hate paying shipping. I've heard some people found them at HEB, but I've never seen them at the one near me, and of course they're only in Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a creamy color!!
    And I love your french one xD

    ReplyDelete
  10. There was so many more chomes out there that I never got the chance to get. I wish they'd bring them back along with the Prisims. I love this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. "I chose especially for this mani because it was pink and would likely annoy Fingers"
    *laughing* Evil, and I approve!
    I regret passing on the chromes. *sigh* But I hate opaque bottles. Yet another thing that's annoying about Sally's bottles.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the Dusty Mauve colour! I haven't tried SPa Ritual either, somehow this brand doesn't get enough attention I think.

    I love the stamping, that pink chrome is fabulous (and goes really well with the purple). I agree, Sally Hansen should bring these back for sure :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am laughing my ass off right now! I am also honored you mentioned me two posts in a row. People are gonna think we actually like each other!!! Haha! And yes that pink frostiness is annoying me! But I am very impressed with your stamping and funky French! They are both awesome! How did you know houndstooth is my fave design?!? I think you should do more stamping and funkys! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haha, Fingers, hope you enjoy the pink =) Anyways, I love both of these manis especially the Chrome one. I agree, Sally should bring back the Chromes! And prisms, and magicals, and several other discontinued polishes. Sally, that ho!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG that is the best stamping combo EVER. I am going to try this look out as soon as my stumpy nails grow out a bit.

    I love sally hansen chromes for stamping! I wish I had some of the darker colours though - she should bring these back for sure!!

    cheerios
    BV

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks everyone!

    maisenzasmalto, I don't recall it changing much when I put topcoat on, so I'd say it was probably shiny enough.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That Sally Hansen pink looks really nice :) And i like houndstooth stamping :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.