Friday, November 11, 2011

Recent NOTD: L'Oreal Owl's Lust and Nicole by OPI Pitch Black Glimmer

When Pitch Black Glimmer came out last year, I was still holding pretty firm to my conviction that I didn't need any more of their awkwardly-shaped bottles in my Helmers. By the time I decided I needed to stop discriminating against them so I wouldn't miss out on some interesting colors and finishes, this black and silver and holo glitter was long gone from Target stores around here. Turtlechick to the rescue! She sent me Pitch Black Glimmer in a swap we did last month, thus saving me from being tempted to violate my principles and pay crazy eBay prices for it. Thanks, turtlechick!

I'm still working through my black glitter issues, so I chose a dark-ish base for my first outing with this NOPI. Owl's Lust is from L'Oreal's Project Runway collection; it's a dark red creme which covered in two coats. Here are a couple of a progress shots before I put on the glitter (or did a proper cleanup job):





I added only one coat of Pitch Black Glimmer to the red (I don't want to use it up too fast, not that I've used up a bottle of color in the last decade or more) then added my usual Sally Hansen Insta Dri topcoat.



I never can find a graceful way to hold that goofy bottle.





I love the multi-colored flashes from the holo glitter in this.





By the end of the four days I had it on, I wished I'd used a slightly lighter base color so the black glitter would have shown up more. I call that progress.

20 comments:

  1. oooh it looks very nice! I like Owl's Lust too actually which is odd for me. Glad you like it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting color - I really like the black "glitter" in that. And I agree - a lighter base would really make the black specks pop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you hold the bottle quite gracefully IMO! Love the combo of the 2!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these two together. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am absolutely loving this combination! Fabulous ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. That Nicole by OPI glitter is neat! Those black glitters will always remind me of cookies and cream, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting combo! I just got my first bottle of NOPI and they are awkward to hold!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The closeups of that glitter polish are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great nail polish! Lovely layering! And.... amazing macro shot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like the hint of holo sparkle in the Black Glimmer...and NOPI has some great colours IMHO so I think you'll be happy you decided to include them in your stash!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is actually not too awful to me! And no I'm not running out to buy more glitter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I find the bottles of Nicole By OPI goofy as well, very strange bottles, how they came up with that?! But I'm in love with glitters, so they always get me, no matter what the bottle looks like. It's gorgeous and although it's black, it has also holo particles.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lol, at the awkward shaped bottle. I never thought about how much space the base of the bottle actually takes up. It looks great on you anyways!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh man I have a strong hate for nicoles funky bottles I think its seriously a deal breaker I have to really want the color to buy one! I have some of their mini bottles and those are super cute I don't know why they can't have the same bottle shape for their full sizes, this glitter is very cool though so I think I would have to over look the bottle shape.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I never heard of Pitch Black Glimmer before! Now I think I want it. It's pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This turned out pretty in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks very nice on you. I can't wear that kind of warmer brown polishes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.